Can and Do People Really Change?
I looked at this question recently because I was watching a rerun of Big Bang Theory and Sheldon made a comment something like… People don’t change, they really want to change, but they don’t.
My first thought was- what a depressing way to live life. Then I though, well… quite a few people think that way not just about other people, but even more damaging is thinking it about oneself.
Of course, I believe people can change- it is the basis of my coaching practice. I would not be a coach, if I didn’t think and know that people can and do change.
So, why don’t more people truly change and do and be what they want to do and be?
1. It is easiest to stay the same- for awhile, but eventually, the pain will become too great… and change becomes a must. For example, that feeling of hitting rock bottom.
2. People feel like they keep making the same mistakes over and over and then look for evidence to prove that indeed- it is true- they have not changed. But what happens when you are looking for evidence to your already predetermined conclusion? You prove yourself right.
How about looking for evidence that you have made positive changes? If you are making health changes- Are you drinking more water? Are you moving a little bit more-even if it is just a few minutes? Did you eat something healthy this week? etc.
If you are trying to grow your career or your business- Have you made new contacts in the last 90 days? Have you had a new idea? Have you learned something new?
You see, people do change sometimes because they must and -in the best of times, because they choose to change.
- Instead of counting your setbacks, tally up your successes- no matter the size.
- Look at every failed attempt as something learned and part of what makes you so amazing.
- Think of it this way, if you see that you have made little changes… why not consider making big changes?
Everyone who begins to make the shift to believing that they can change- makes huge leaps forward. You don’t have to be at the top of your class, the smartest guy or gal in the room, or the most beautiful. (If you are all those- chances are- you still have blocks and limiting beliefs that get in the way).
All you need to be and do what you want, is to foster the belief that you can, and then DECIDE to do it. Decide that you will do it, that you will learn what you need to learn and build the team around you to support you.
“Decision” is genius. When we are on the fence- we are most vulnerable and uncomfortable.
The moment you decide and say- I’m doing it- you unleash unstoppable energy from within.
For momentum, rapid change, and transformation check out my 21 Days to More Freedom, Happiness and Success courses Click Here
Cheers to your fabulous success!
Dr. Sheri Kaye Hoff, PhD, MA
Your Inspired Action Success Coach
Dr. Sheri Kaye Hoff, PhD.,MA, CGCL Your Inspired Action Success Coach. Sheri Kaye Hoff is a Life, Executive and Small Biz Coach and transformational best selling author of multiple books. She is a leadership expert, keynote speaker, international radio show guest, podcast host, and workshop leader with 20 years of coaching, mentoring, training and development experience. Visit Sheri at www.lifeisjoyful.org
21 Days of more Freedom, Happiness and Success Click Here
21 days of Growing Your Business Click Here