Happiness is not a someday thing- it is a now thing. Happiness is a practice. I view happiness as a lifestyle. You can choose happiness just like you can choose your clothes in your closet. Here are 5 tips that helped me create every day happiness.
1. Create a journaling practice. Journaling is for everyone, not just writers. Writing a few minutes a day will change your life. Use an active approach which means that you are journaling for change and not just recording thoughts. Write your gratitude list. Then write your manifestation/goals list. Then get quiet and listen to your inner voice for guidance and write down anything that comes up. Finish with a proclamation that you like such as, “All is well.” “Thy will be done.” “This or something better.”
2. Pay attention to your language. Notice the words you speak throughout the day. Are you complaining or gossiping? This is a common habit and habits can be changed. You may think you are positive, but how often do you refer to successful people as dishonest? or confident people as arrogant? or talented people as lucky? or wealthy people as crooked? or the world as messed up? and so on. Speak kind words as often as you can. When you must offer constructive criticism be matter of fact, calm, and logical.
3. Be in the present moment. The past is gone and the future uncertain. You have right now. Live in the moment. When you live in the past or future, you are missing the moment. Get present by noticing your feet on the ground and take deep breaths in and out. Observe your surroundings with great detail.
4. Touch and connect. Hug people you love. Hold hands. Look into people’s eyes when you are talking to them. Connect with yourself and spirit through prayer and meditation.
5. Help someone. Donate time, give money, help a friend move, listen to a friends troubles, or see a need and meet it. My daughter, at 16, saw a need when she went to LA for a week and worked with homeless people. When she returned home, she had a greater understanding of homelessness and started a project called Blankets for Denver where she and her friends collected blankets and donations for the Denver Rescue Mission.
To practice every day happiness pick something from this list and get started or choose your own method. Happiness is an every day choice. How do you create every day happiness?
If you want to know more about how you can create more every day happiness- check out my book Keys to Living Joyfully
Dr. Sheri Kaye Hoff, PhD