Overcome three hurdles to writing your book.
If you are a coach, consultant, online biz owner, or small biz owner, it makes sense to write a book. You have expertise to share with the world and writing a book adds to your professional credibility and increases opportunities. Many of my life coaching clients fit into this category where a book could create a big impact. The most common things I hear from people when they are considering writing a book are:
- I don’t have enough time
- I can’t decide on my topic
- I don’t know where to start
You can write a book fast. I wrote my book, Keys to Living Joyfully, in four weeks. I wrote my Top Life Coaching Tips ebook in one day. I created my 21 day Success Bootcamp ecourse in two weeks. Okay, now I might sound like I am bragging a bit…really, I am just letting you know, that if I can do it fast- so can you.
Here are some quick writing tips:
- Gather everything you have written already (blogs, newsletters, articles, etc). Look for a theme…could these be compiled into a book? Or could some of them be parts of book chapters.
- Topic: don’t worry about having to select the one topic that completely defines you as a person. Most people have too many ideas and you really can write more than one book. The idea is to first successfully complete one. You can even create revised editions as you change and grow.
- Write about what you know the most about and/or are most passionate about.
- Create a preliminary list of chapters.
- Clearly write to a person or group of people. Imagine, you are sitting down for coffee..what would you say?
- When you write…don’t edit until you have completed a chapter. Let your writing flow out…then go back and edit.
- Write when you are inspired to write. Don’t force it. If you are not inspired, do things that inspire you (listen to music,
Of course there are more tips…and I do teach a write your book fast and fabulously workshop, but just using this list – is a huge step forward and will get you to a finished manuscript, if you are willing to give it a try.